Before I Forget is a BAFTA-nominated narrative exploration game. Players step into the world of Sunita - a woman living with early onset dementia. As you wander from room to room, you discover mysterious objects, each holding a fleeting, fragmented memory. Examine faded postcards, scribbled notes, photographs, and more to uncover Sunita’s past, piece together her life-story and understand her present.
3-Fold Games, the micro game studio co-founded by Chella Ramanan and Claire Morwood, is launching its debut game, Before I Forget. Before I Forget began life at the xx+ Game Jam 2016, in Bristol, with the theme 'borders'. The game explores what it means to lose your memories and how living with dementia affects your life and those around you. Developed with support from medical professionals and Gaming the Mind, this short narrative game centres Sunita, a woman living with dementia. This expertise directly informs the development of Before I Forget to help create a sensitive portrayal of dementia for players. Players interact with objects to unlock Sunita’s memories and unravel a mystery. The game launched as a Humble Original on 5 June 2020, followed by Steam and itch.io for PC, Mac and Linux, on 16 July 2020. Before I Forget was nominated for a BAFTA within the Game Beyond Entertainment category, and for the Games For Change awards in the Most Innovative category in 2021.
- Before I Forget is a short, first-person narrative game with an average playtime of 1 hour.
- Emotional narrative delivered through interior monologue, visual storytelling and audio elements.
- Bring colour back into Sunita's confused, monochrome world, as she pieces her life together.
- Flashbacks and audio visual distortion and cues to represent some of the symptoms of dementia.
- Sunita’s house is packed full of letters and objects, which trigger memories, taking players on an emotional journey.
- A vivid cast of voice actors brings Sunita and her memories to life, using vocal talent, including Anjali Kunapaneni and Bushra Laskar.
- Original soundtrack with emotive piano melodies by composer, Dave Tucker.
Release Trailer — YouTube
Logo & Icon
Beautiful and thought-provoking gameKatie Campbell, Pos'ability Magazine
Before I Forget is a delicate and unique exploration of dementia from a first-person perspective.Mark Serrels, CNET
a sensitive and emotive portrayal of dementiaAlan Wen, The Guardian
Games of 2019: British GamesLaura Kate Dale, Kotaku
This subtly told and intriguing work continues to show incredible promise as its development moves forward.Peter Willington, roducer at game studio Auroch Digital, TechSpark
- Original Soundtrack (OST)
- Composed by Dave Tucker. Download for £2.99 at davetuckermusic.bandcamp.com.
About 3-Fold Games
- 3-Fold Games are a micro game studio of two women (Chella Ramanan and Claire Morwood), who met at the XX+ Games Jam in Bristol, UK in 2016. At the Jam they won Audience Choice Award for Before I Forget, motivating them to push on with development. They have since exhibited the game in the UK and internationally and are now collaborating with sound designers and artists to complete development of their first game, Before I Forget, a narrative exploration about a woman with dementia.
- More information
- More information on 3-Fold Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Before I Forget Credits
- Claire Morwood
- Programmer, Artist, Game Designer
- Chella Ramanan
- Narrative Designer, Game Designer
- Jake Basten
- Audio Designer, Audio Programmer
- Dave Tucker
- AJ Murdoch
- 2D Artist
- Emma Haynes
- 2D Artist, Character Designer
- Martine Lillycrop
- Adele Cutting (Soundcuts)
- Voice Director and Editor
- Dave Newby (Soundcuts)
- Voice Editor
- Anjali Kunapaneni
- Voice-Over Arist (Sunita)
- Mason Scott Robinson
- Voice-Over Arist (Dylan)
- Bushra Lashkar
- Voice-Over Arist (Leela)
- Reshma Madhi
- Voice-Over Arist (Maria)
- Gary Kings